Youngstown State University, founded in 1908, is an urban research university located in Youngstown, Ohio, United States.
The university’s origins trace back to 1908, when the local branch of the YMCA established a school of law within the Youngstown Association School. In 1921, the school became known as the Youngstown Institute of Technology and offered its first evening courses. In 1928, a year after establishing the College of Arts and Sciences, the institute once again changed its name to Youngstown College. In 1955, Youngstown College was renamed as Youngstown University, an indication of the school’s broadening curriculum.
On September 1, 1967, after becoming a public institution, Youngstown University became officially known as Youngstown State University. The following spring, YSU opened a Graduate School and College of Applied Science and Technology. In 1974, the College of Fine and Performing Arts was established.
Jones Hall, often the building that welcomes people coming onto the YSU campus, is also one of the campus’s oldest buildings, having been built in 1931, when YSU was known as Youngstown College. Its history as the “main building” of the campus continues today, as it is perhaps the best-known and most photographed building of the whole campus. The building was renamed Jones Hall in honor of the institutions first president, Dr. Howard Jones. Today, the building is used as mainly administrative office space.
This university is the place of the 2012 Youngstown Jazz Fest